Disclaimer: I am no qualified expert, this is based on what layman knowledge I have of matcha.
I briefly spoke of the dangers of drinking too much matcha in my previous post but one can’t deny the health benefits that good quality matcha brings.
Matcha’s increasing popularity is more evident than before, as more businesses have been incorporating matcha into their menus and products. Matcha came from the Camellia sinensis plant, which is also the plant green tea came from. Harvesting matcha is meticulous because farmers need to cover the tea plants 20-30 days before harvesting it to avoid direct sunlight. This gives the plant the chance to increase its chlorophyll production, and amino acid content. After harvesting the tea leaves, it will be dried then grinded into powder, which becomes matcha. Matcha has more nutrients as it contains more caffeine and antioxidants than green tea. These are some health benefits you can get by drinking matcha tea.
1. Matcha has high number of antioxidants that can help to stabilize free radicals, which can damage cells and cause chronic diseases.
2. It protects the liver based on the studies done, proving that regular intake of matcha prevents damage to kidneys and livers.
3. Matcha contains considerable amounts of caffeine which can help to boost brain function. It was also found that matcha contains a compound called L-theanine, which promotes alertness, induces relaxation and reduces stress levels.
4. It was also found that matcha contains high amounts of epigallocatechni-3-gallate (EGCG), a type of catechin that has powerful anti-cancer properties which is effective against different types of cancers.
5. Matcha also helps to decrease levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, which are factors that contribute to having heart diseases.
6. It can also help you to lose weight by increasing your metabolism and burning the fat in your body but with proper diet and exercise.
7. Preparing matcha is as easy as preparing your cup of coffee, you can try different combinations depending on your preference. There is no right or wrong in creating your recipe, just find styles that suit you the best. It is recommended that you should only consume one to two cups of matcha per day to avoid any bad side effects.
Including matcha in your daily consumption will give you a lot of nutritional benefits as stated above. However, as everyone says everything should be done in moderation.